DISCLAIMER

All rights of photos and text reserved. Usage of photos or text from my blog on other websites or for any other purpose only with prior permission. If you want to use any material from my blog please contact me by email.

Friday, November 25, 2011

Lundahl Goes For Silver

Hi!

As you might be aware from reading my blog, I'm using Lundahl transformers and chokes extensively. I'm especially fond of the LL1933 MC step up transformer which is my favorite. I actually prefer the mu metal core LL1933 over the amorphous core LL1931. Both are also available with higher step up ratios as types LL1943 and LL1941. This series of transformers is wound with Cardas copper wire.

Now they are also available with silver wire, the suffix 'Ag' distinguishes them from the standard versions:




During the high end fair in Munich this year I met Per Lundahl and we discussed silver wound transformers. Apparently there is quite some demand and I also encouraged him to go for silver. The MC step up transformers are the first ones to be available as silver editions.

I got my hands on a pair LL1933Ag of the first production run and will compare them to the standard transformers which I use in my phonostages.

Stay tuned for another article about the impact of the silver on the sound of these transformers.

Best regards

Thomas

4 comments:

  1. Hi Thomas,
    very interesting indeed. I have a pair of the LL1941s and have been wanting to try the Mu Metal version. I look forward to your observations and am grateful for your blog.

    Cheers,

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...what's the story, Morning glory?

    Every time I did this comparison, exact same trans in Ag and Cu, the silver killed the copper.

    I really don't want it to be that way, but it usually is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo Thomas,

    kann man beziffern, worin die elektrischen Unterschiede zu finden sind? Ich vermute, da die Windungen ja irgendwie im Verhältnis gleich bleiben müssen, kann entweder dünnerer Draht verwendet werden oder gleiche Stärke mit weniger Widerstand.

    Logisch gefolgert, müssten dann auch andere Lundahl-Produkte von der Verwendung von Silber profitieren. Gibt es da auch Bestrebungen, z.B. Interstage oder Ausgangstrafos? Audio Note verwendet ja seit Jahren auch Silberspulen für ihre Lautsprecher und andere induktive Bauteile mit großem Erfolg.

    Gruß,
    Bernd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo Bernd,

    Details zu den elektrischen parametern habe ich noch nicht, ich denke es wird demnächst ein Datenblatt geben.

    Lundahl überlegt auch andere Übertrager alternativ mit Silberdraht anzubieten. Wird wohl davon abhängen wie der Markt den LL1933Ag und LL1931Ag aufnimmt.

    Ich stehe sonst ja Kabelthemen eher kritisch gegenüber, denke aber dass es in einem Übertrager schon mehr ausmacht. Der Hörtest steht noch aus. Das einzige Paar LL1933 das ich noch habe ist momentan verbaut und ich muss die erst auslöten um dann den 1:1 Vergleich zu machen.

    Ob sich die Investition in eine Silberversion lohnen wird hängt dann auch stark von der Schaltungsumgebung ab. Die Kosten der Silbervarianten werden um den Faktor 3-4 über den Kupfervarianten liegen. Hier spielt nicht nur der Materialpreis des Silbers eine Rolle sondern auch Mehraufwand bei der Verarbeitung, geringere Stückzahlen, Beschaffung des Silberdrahts in kleinen Mengen etc.

    Viele Grüße

    Thomas

    ReplyDelete